The restart is a means to continue with play after points have been scored or at the start of each half of a match.
Aims for the MOs
- To restart play with a fair contest for the ball.
- The kick and the place where the ball lands.
- Voice: Ensure teams are ready before allowing play to proceed.
- Signal: None applicable at this phase.
- Whistle: For kick-off this is the only time you use the whistle to start, rather than to stop, the game.
Laws (top three priorities)
- For kick-off, check that the correct type of kick is used.
- Watch for the kicker’s team mates moving in front of the ball before it is kicked.
- Check that the ball travels a minimum of 10m.